The Arab Governance Institute organized a workshop as part of the activities of the «Baladiti» project, which is implemented by the Arab Institute for Governance in partnership with the United Nations Development Program. The main objectives of this event are:
- To develop the capacities of local public groups and to enhance citizens’ participation in assessing local governance in terms of the quality and quantity of services provided,
- Improving the effectiveness and the degree of citizens participation in local public affairs in particular.
The project «Baladiti» relies on a participatory approach that promotes the participation of all local actors from local public groups, citizens and the private sector … at different stages of the project, especially in the development of assessment tools for local governance
The project also relies on an interactive approach that aims to give priority to the views of the actors and interact positively with their needs and expectations.
The most important results expected from this project:
- Mobilize a team of elected deputies to advocate for the establishment of a legal framework to establish the principle of participation in the evaluation of local public policies;
- Establish criteria for assessing local governance and controlling objective indicators
- Develop a participatory monitoring framework for local governance indicators
- Designing a tool to “evaluate” public services at the local level;
This workshop is the first of a series of three workshops that will bring together many actors and stakeholders at the local level in several municipalities in the Tunisian governorates of Siliana, Nabeul and Greater Tunis. Some of the most important results expected include:
- First: Unify the concepts related to local governance, decentralization and participatory democracy
- Second: Provide a common reading of the reality of local governance and identify its problems
- Third: the reading of the Constitution of January 2014 and the new reforms it has introduced at the local governance level, as well as the role of municipalities under the new constitution.
- Fourth: Explain Evaluation, what it is and what are its objectives.
- Fifth: The importance of citizen participation and their role in assessing local policies
- Sixth: Define citizens priorities in assessing and adapting local policies (according to the specificities of each region)